The Florida Panthers defeated the Detroit Red Wings 3-2 (SO) in thrilling fashion last night coming all the way back from a two goal third period deficit. Sean Bergenheim and Nick Bjugstad scored for the Panthers in the third and Aleksander Barkov and Brad Boyes scored in the shootout. Here are some reactions and thoughts from last night:
- Check out The Rat Trick’s game recap here.
- The loss dropped the Red Wings to 0-5 in the shootout this year. It goes without saying that the folks over at Octopus Thrower were not happy campers last night. Here is their take on the game.
- Um…I’m sure everybody already saw Alexander Ovechkin’s four goals last night. That’s not what you want to see from the guy who is coming to town in only a few days but maybe Ovi got them all out of his system last night against Tampa. Ovechkin scored his four goals on only six shots and he now has a shooting percentage of 16.7 for the season. Ovechkin has a career S% of 12.4 and his previous single season high 14.6 in 07-08. Chances are he will not be able to sustain his current rate so we may see a slight dip in his numbers as the season progresses and his shooting percentage regresses.
- During the third period, the glass behind the Red Wings net broke and a replacement was needed. Unfortunately the replacement glass broke on the way so the Panthers had to go with a very opaque option three. Check it out:
— George Richards (@GeorgeRichards) December 11, 2013
- HBO has started filming on 24/7 Road To The Winter Classic which means when episode 1 premiers this Saturday we may get a chance to re-live last night’s victory from behind the lenses of the HBO cameras.
- The NHL has announced that the salary cap will increase to $71 million next season, a number that means little to the Panthers. More importantly, the cap floor will raise to $52 million which is probably closer to where the Panthers’ payroll will hover. With 14 UFA/RFA’s coming off the books after this season, the Cats will start the offseason with a payroll of about $38.5 million so they will have some room to do a bit of spending.
Here is the latest Rat Trick stuff for ya eyeballs:
- Rogerio takes a look at the Panthers power play, decides its counterintuitive and The Raj is alway right so maybe the Panthers should counter the counter-ness and make that ish super intuitive.
- Here is my take on Weiss returning to South Florida.
- Last but not least, here is a look at the Panthers players’ prospects of reppin’ their countries in Sochi.
Thats all for now. Share your thoughts about last night’s game, or just life in general, in the comments section below and make sure to follow The Rat Trick on Facebook and Twitter for all the latest.