Training camp is finally underway and the regular season begins in less than three weeks. We will be seeing some Panther hockey much sooner than that though as the team begins their pre-season schedule with a double header Monday against the Predators. With the hockey world moving forward with its new season, there is a lot going on in the Panther-verse so lets hit the links:
- The first stop for any Panther fan looking for Panthers news (after The Rat Trick of course) should be the team’s home page. Right now over at Floridapanthers.com, they have interviews from the players and daily updates from camp. Highly recommended.
- Harry Fialkov of the Sun-Sentinel has an interesting article about the openings on the Panthers’ blue line and the players who could potentially fill them. The usual suspects fill out the top four, Brian Campbell, Mike Weaver, Erik Gudbranson, Dmitry Kulikov. The remaining two spots could be filled by some combination of Ed Jovanovski (depending on his health), Colby Robak, Alex Petrovic, Michael Caruso, Matt Gilroy, Brett Clark, or Mike Mottau.
- Also from the Sun Sentinel, here are some pictures from the first few days of camp.
- Over at the Miami Herald, George Richards has a nice piece about Ed Jovanovski and the injury that forced him to undergo hip surgery. How bad was the injury? According to Jovanovski, “It got to the point where I couldn’t bend down to tie my laces anymore”.
- Also from Richards and the Miami Herald, here is a profile of veteran Scott Gomez. The article focuses on the players instrumental to his development with the Devils (Joe Nieuwendyk, Scott Stevens, Bobby Holik, Scott Niedermayer) and how he can use that experience to help the Panthers youngsters. Gomez on providing veteran leadership: “It would be selfish not to give back at this stage of my career. That’s not how I learned to do things. And you don’t win that way.”