Yesterday at the Saveology.com IcePlex, the Florida Panthers kicked off their Prospect Camp with a morning practice. The 9 a.m. session was the only scheduled practice before the start of this weekends round robin tournament where the Panthers will face off against prospects from the Boston Bruins, Tampa Lightning and Nashville Predator organizations. The tournament is set to go off today starting with Tampa Bay facing Boston at 2 p.m. followed by the Panthers taking on the Predators at 6 p.m.
Here are some of the stories form day one at Panthers Prospect Camp:
- George Richards who covers the Panthers for the Miami Herald was on hand for the practice session and you can read his day one recap here. Some important take aways: following the prospects practice, some Panthers veterans took to the ice for a workout. Among them was Kris Versteeg who is working his way back from a knee injury. Shawn Matthias has taken up the locker previously occupied by Stephen Weiss. Aleksander Barkov participated in the morning session.
- More from George Richards: Kris Versteeg expects to be ready for opening day. “It’s a long process but my goal is to be ready for the start of the season,” Versteeg said. “I guess we’ll see how training camp goes. I don’t want to go into a regular season game without knowing what training camp is like. I think I’ll be there for most of it. That’s my goal.”
- One more from Richards: Here is a profile of prospect Vincent Trocheck. The 20 year old forward may not make the Panthers this October but it will not be because of a lack of confidence.
- From the Sun Sentinel: There is a familiar name on the prospect camp roster. Alex Gudbranson, the younger brother of Panther defenseman Erik, was un-drafted in 2012 and again in 2013. The Panthers invited him to their prospect camp for a tryout. “Playing in the NHL is my lifelong dream, and I’m going to make it there” said the younger Gudbranson.
- From the Panthers home page: here is a recap from yesterday’s practice and here is a look at what’s to come in Jonathan Huberdeau’s sophomore season.
- On The Rat Trick front, you can check out our Scott Gomez season preview and our introduction to the Panthers’ new Atlantic Division rival; the Boston Bruins.