As we take a look around the Panther-verse today you will notice youth and potential would be a fitting theme for this edition of Morning Nips. With the direction the team is consciously taking, it is no surprise that much of the talk surrounding the Panthers is focused on their youth. That is not likely to change as we progress through the 2013-14 season. Here are some links to start your Monday…
- Here is a take on the Florida Panthers top prospects 1-10 (hockey buzz). The list leaves off Jonathan Huberdeau and Drew Shore because they are considered to have already outgrown the prospect tag. Aleksander Barkov, the Panthers 2nd overall pick in this year’s draft tops the list followed last year’s first round pick, defenseman Mike Matheson. In general, I think this is a pretty solid list, the only small disagreement I might have is ranking Ian McCoshen (31st overall 2013 draft) higher than the likes of Alex Petrovic and Quinton Howden. The exciting part about this list is, we will probably see at least half these players suit up for the Panthers at some point this season.
- While we are on the subject, hockeysfuture.com has updated the Florida Panthers’ prospects page to include the players Florida acquired in the 2013 NHL Draft. Out of the new guys, HF ranks Barkov the Panthers second best center behind Huberdeau (who most likely will not even play center), Ian McCoshen the fourth overall defensive prospect and the awesomely named Christopher Clapperton the fourth ranked left winger.
- Not be left out of the youth movement, here is a piece I published yesterday in which I try to build a case for Drew Shore to make the Panthers out of training camp this fall. In order for Shore to have a roster spot at the center position, a player like Scott Gomez would either have to switch to a wing or not play so I focused a lot on the comparison between Shore and Gomez.
- The folks over at SenShot predicted the Panthers to finish last in the Atlantic Division next year. I would get angry at this if it was not such a reasonable prediction.
- Finally since Mondays usually suck and its raining as I write this, here is a new jam from Drake to help brighten up the day.
Topics: Florida Panthers