Yesterday the rest of the NHL All-Stars were revealed, and there were a number of surprises, both in who was voted on, and who was not. For the Florida Panthers, Brian (Soupy) Campbell was named as the lone representative, which comes as no surprise as he is in the top five in assists, second for defencemen, and is among the league leaders in time on ice to go along with his league wide popularity. Left off the list from the Panthers were Kris Versteeg and Jason Garrison. Both players could easily have been added, however Garrison is not a household name yet, and I’m still scratching my head on why Versteeg was left off. As always part of the problem is that each team must be represented with at least one player, and since the game is in Ottawa, the Senators had four players voted in. For my money let’s worry about getting healthy so we can make that playoff push.
Something new that we’ll do here on Friday’s as long as there wasn’t a game the night before is provide you the links to the five best articles around FanSided (FanSided Five). After those, you also have a few of the other links from the hockey internet world that we normally provide. Check ‘em out.
* Cardiac Cane asked her universe to vote on the 2011 Hockey Player “Tweeter Awards”.
* Does the All-Star selection process weaken the event? Too Many Men On The Site.
* It took a long time, but we finally have staff at Gone Puck Wild.
* Is it really necessary to have a coach that speaks French? A Winning Habit.
The rest of the hockey universe:
* Justin Bourne looks at this year’s All-Star selections. Back Hand Shelf.
* Michael Cammalleri blows off some steam. If he said it in French would he still be in Montreal? Or does it really matter? Pro Hockey Talk.
* He’s not happy about losing. Globe and Mail.
* The drama continues as Michael Cammalleri is sent back to the hotel during the game. Was told to wait for instructions. Pro Hockey Talk.
* Bob McKenzie covers the drama of last night’s Montreal trade with Calgary. TSN.ca.
* Scott Howson still has a job in Columbus. How does that happen? The Hockey News.
* Brian Campbell again places his faith in Dale Tallon. NHL.com.
* Why Teemu Selanne won’t play in the All-Star game. Ducks Blog.
* Are the St. Louis Blues possible even better? St. Louis Game Time.
Thanks for reading. We welcome your comments and opinions.
Follow the Rat Pack on Twitter: me @TheRatTrick , David Lasseter @davidlasseter , Josh Luecht@joshluecht, Patrick McLaughlin @PatrickRattrick, Scott Mullin @GreatScottsman, Cameron Tahernia @Lord_Panther, David Rodriguez @davidbub_2, Paige Lewis @peejlewiz Gabby Kiger @gabbykiger, and Adam Reid @AdamReid. Also, please join our Facebook Fan Page and hit the like button, send us photos, and make some comments.