The NHL took the stage on Monday with it’s annual outdoor game in Philadelphia as the New York Rangers took on the Philadelphia Flyers. Our network, FanSided was well represented as we had writers from the following sites at the game:
While the game started off with teams exchanging some scoring chances, things weren’t exactly a thrill a minute until midway through the second period where if you got up to head to the fridge, you missed three goals in a span of less than three minutes, as the Flyers jumped out to a 2-1 lead. Brayden Schenn scored his first NHL goal, followed by Claude Giroux who scored his 18th on the season. However games like this one on a national stage aren’t always meant only for star players to shine, as New York’s Mike Rupp decided that the “lunch pail” guys needed some attention. Rupp scored the first of his two goals to bring life into the Rangers and we had a game on our hands. Rupp scored again in the third period to tie the game, and Brad Richards gave the Rangers the lead for good with his 14th of the year.
Both goaltenders were solid throughout the game as Henrik Lundqvist and Sergei Bobrovsky showed off their talents, but it was Lundqvist who ended up stealing the show which included stopping Daniel Briere on a penalty shot. The game ultimately had everything you wanted form an outdoor hockey event. Good goaltending, scoring, checking, a salute, and snow flurries. Rumblings of the where the next Winter Classic will be have already begun. Yes, South Florida has been mentioned, and based on the weather we’ll be getting over the next few days would seem like a possibility. We can dream right?
Here’s a few links for your back to work Tuesday:
* Some Winter Classic “snark”. Matt Reitz at A View From My Seats.
* There were other games yesterday, so here’s Puck Daddy’s Three Stars.
* John Tortorella was not at all pleased with the officiating. Pro Hockey Talk.
* PK Subban gets in a fight. At practice. Backhand Shelf.
* Raffi Torres is still Raffi Torres and gets suspended for two games. Harrison Mooney.
* Ian Cole gets three games for a head shot. TSN.ca.
* Daniel Carcillo will probably get suspended for this. To go along with his injury. Harrison Mooney from Puck Daddy.
* Jaromir Jagr left the game early for what was called an undisclosed injury. NHL.com.
* Team Canada will face Russia in the WJC’s semi finals. Globe and Mail.
Thanks for reading. We welcome your comments and opinions.
Follow the Rat Pack on Twitter: me @TheRatTrick , David Lasseter @davidlasseter , Josh Luecht@joshluecht, Patrick McLaughlin @PatrickRattrick, Scott Mullin @GreatScottsman, Cameron Tahernia @Lord_Panther, David Rodriguez @davidbub_2 and Paige Lewis @peejlewiz. Also, please join our Facebook Fan Page and hit the like button, send us photos, and make some comments.