Hear that sound? That’s the sound of hockey season winding down. By virtue of their 3-2 win last night, the Vancouver Canucks moved to within two wins of capturing the first Stanley Cup in franchise history. That means there are a maximum of five games left in the 2010-2011 season, which leads the longest of intermissions, the off-season. For the Florida Panthers, it’s another crucial off-season as the rebuild continues. The Cats are armed with the third overall draft pick and roughly $30 million to spend to get to the salary cap floor. With that in mind, here are just some random thoughts as I enjoy the peace and quiet of a Sunday morning when everyone else is asleep:
- The longer Erik Gudbranson goes without being signed, the more anxious I get. I have no reason to believe that he doesn’t want to play here, but after the failed attempt at signing him prior to this season, my mind begins to irrationally jump to conclusions. GM Dale Tallon has said as recently as Friday that Guddy will be signed. Please Dale, sign him soon so I can relax.
- While I’m excited about the prospect of the return of the red home sweater, the thought of having the revised logo on the front of the sweater tempers my enthusiasm. The broken stick Panther logo is a great one and doesn’t need to be changed.
- In the latest issue of The Hockey News, the 30 franchises were ranked by a number of different categories to come up with an overall list. The Panthers ended up ranked 28th. Behind them were the New York Islanders and the-franchise-formerly-known-as-the-Atlanta-Thrashers.
-In the same issue of THN, Ryan Kennedy presented his version of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. His version has the Cats taking Ryan Nugent-Hopkins third overall after Adam Larsson and Gabriel Landeskog go 1-2. This would be an amazing result if it came true! Most of the mock drafts I’ve seen have RNH and Larsson in the top spots, leaving Landeskog at three. It’s an idea I’ve grown to like as many scouts say he is NHL ready right now.
- Panthers President and COO Michael Yormark took to Twitter yesterday to ‘Educate The Media Through Twitter”. Yormark’s buddy, George Richards of The Miami Herald added his response to Yormark’s tweets via his blog, On Frozen Pond.
- In case I forgot to mention it already, PLEASE SIGN ERIK GUDBRANSON!!
Anything on your mind, Panthers fans?
Thanks for reading! Any and all comments are appreciated!
Please visit our main NHL page: Too Many Men On The Site
Want to talk more hockey? http://therattrick.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=10570&action=editThen you can follow The Rat Pack on Twitter! Me: @davidlasster, Frank Rekas: @TheRatTrick and Josh Luecht: @joshluecht, Adam Reid: @Adam Reid and Patrick McLaughlin: @PatrickMcLaughlin. Also, please visit our Facebook Fan Page and like us! Share comments, photos, anything Panthers related!
Check out Fansided’s NHL podcast Rinkside Rants on Blog Talk Radio.
Want The Rat Trick or another FanSided network blog on your Iphone, Android or Blackberry? Download the application now on your smartphone and get the best in Florida Panthers coverage.