Sillywalks. Source: Nationalpost.com
The Florida Panthers take on the Columbus Blue Jackets tonight at Nationwide Arena in Columbus. A game which features the road team with a six game losing streak, and the home team with a six game losing streak on home ice. It also features two of the worst power plays in the league. Statistically speaking. An ugly stat that I saw is that in the past 10 seasons only one of these teams has appeared in the post season. Columbus!
I could talk about Rick Nash and how I have a soft spot for him, since he was almost a Panther. I could tell you that Jakub Voracek has a promising career, or how Mark Methot is the type of young defenceman I’d want. But I’m not.
Mary O’Malley the lead writer for Fire That Cannon and I have decided to get into some pregame sillyness. While My questions are bit more nonsensical, but with a flair of humor, hers are almost off the charts. What the heck. It’s game 75. Both teams are teeing off for golf soon, and I’m kinda tired of writing the same old previews ya know? So thanks to Mary, while it might seem like she’s all giggles, (she’s not) for suggesting this little tug of war. Really, take a peak at her site. She is a pretty passionate fan and has been in love with her Union Blue boys since they entered the NHL. We each know about futility all too well. Probably why the camaraderie is so easy!
Here’s the deal. I asked Mary some questions and she asked me some. I’ll post mine to her first, then hers to mine. Note; she clearly has me beaten on the creative side! Oh and for those that want it, here’s the TSN gameday preview. Also, Tomas Vokoun is out with a wonky back. Scott Clemmensen gets the start.
On with the goofyness. My questions to Mary: Beware, there were some technical issues I just could not fix, so please be patient!
1) So both teams have their tee times set for mid April, I know i’m not happy with the outcome, but I predicted us to finish 15th in the conference anyway. You guys however have some decent players including a pretty decent goalie. What the hell happened?
Well, it’s what I like to call NHL/CBJ-specific freaking the f*&k out. I don’t know why they do it. Just like a family that’s rolling along and someone has an issue…but with CBJ, all the kids decided to have their issues all at once. We all needed counseling but because of insurance bullcrap, couldn’t get it time to save us.
2) I can only imagine where the Panthers would be if we had drafted Rick Nash instead of Jay Bouwmeester. You gotta love this guy right? I know I do. What makes him so special?
He’s great. He makes things happen when we need him to. But he’s one guy…he can’t carry the team on his shoulders, big as they may be…
3) I have to ask, what’s the latest with Krissy? I know you call him juice, but c’mon, you need to agree with me that he’s a bit soft. Kinda like the Pillsbury dough boy ya know
The PB doughboy is an American dude…I heard KH got fried by the Florida sun and almost didn’t dress when he was with you. Didn’t you care to give the lad sunblock?! What kind of people are you?
4) You guys made a trade at the deadline, moving original Jacket Rusty Klesla for Scottie Upshall and Sami Lepisto. After getting over the shock of the deal, are you feeling better about it now?
No. Well, kind of . It felt like we just left Rusty on the side of the road with his stick and a bag of Cheetos. He looks better in the Union Blue. Makes his eyes pop. I miss him. I’m always gonna like him.
5) Gimme your three favourite Jackets and why! Tell which Panther player makes you the most nervous. If that’s even possible.
1. Marc Methot…he’s under-rated. He’s a smart, well put-together player. He’s as tough as Boll or Dorsett but doesn’t get the mention.
2. Dorsett…I love watching him play because he loves to play and it shows. He doesn’t seem jaded or affected by anything. He just plays. I appreciate that.
3. This is hard. Asking me to name my three favorites is like leading me into the best bakery ever and asking me to choose only 3 sweets from like a million…
Umby for obvious reasons…work ethic is inspiring and Nasher…or Vermette or Calvert or Boll…don’t forget Brassard and Garon…
Seems like every team wants to kill our Fedor Tyutin or take off Umby’s head or go after Nasher. So could be anyone….maybe even one of your ice girls will pick up a shovel and hit one of the boys…who knows? Been a wild season…
There you have it. Silly, yet fun and fun to do. Thanks Mary. It’s been a fun season. Now we can each look forward to next year. A phrase that being from Chicago and rooting for the Cubs, I know all too well.
Thanks for reading. We welcome your comments and opinions.
Please visit our NHL main page: Too Many Men On The Site.
Follow the Rat pack onTwitter: me @TheRatTrick David Lasseter @davidlasseter and Josh Luecht @joshluecht. Also, please join our Facebook Fan Page and hit the like button, send us photos, and make some comments.
Want The Rat Trick on your Iphone, Android or Blackberry? Download the application now on your smartphone and get the best in Florida Panthers coverage.