Labor Day weekend to many people coordinates with the ending of summer. Kids are getting back to school, routines that have been on hiatus are back on schedule, and the most gratifying meaning of the weekend means that football season is starting training camp is about to begin. YEAH!
Believe it or not we have survived a very long summer, and one that has been a bit on the boring side. So to put an end to the doldrums of the summer I thought it may be appropriate to enjoy your last holiday weekend before Thanksgiving with a little “Drinking Game” that you can play while you may be attending a BBQ, watching baseball, football, or just sitting around in your shorts and t-shirt counting the days till October.
Now I am not an advocate of getting yourself plastered by any means. Drink responsibly of course. And don’t get behind the wheel of a car if you’ve had too much to drink. I’m also not even advocating you drink alcohol. It could be whatever your favourite beverage is, although I imagine alcohol will be a bit more enjoyable. Anyway, here’s the deal.
Whenever any of the following situations occur, take a drink of your beverage:
* A rumor that the Ilya Kovalchuk deal has been approved by the NHL.
* A rumor that the Ilya Kovalchuk deal will be denied by the NHL.
* A rumor that the Ilya Kovalchuk deal will be denied and that he’s signing with a team in the KHL. You should be pretty well on your way to a drunken stupor by now.
* When someone “Tweets” or says, “Is it October Yet”?
* When you hear or read that there may be a lockout after the current CBA expires. (this requires consumption of the entire glass).
* When it’s reported that Roberto Luongo is the best goalie in the NHL.
* When it’s revealed that the Sedins are indeed sisters.
* When someone actually predicts that the Florida Panthers will make the playoffs. (once again, the whole glass for this one).
* When we hear that David Booth is healthy and ready for camp to begin.
* When the Florida Panthers reveal another season ticket package that you can’t pass up.
* When someone other than The Hockey News predicts that the Vancouver Canucks will win the Stanley Cup.
* When you hear the word “Party” attached to any reference about the Florida Panthers for this season.
* When someone mentions that Little Stevie is one of the top five centers in the Southeast Division. Division, not conference!
* When someone says the reason free agent Kyle Wellwood isn’t signed yet is because he’s fat.
* When someone says that they enjoy the shootout, and that it should stay a part of the game.
* When the rumor that the Montreal Canadiens, and head coach Uncle Jack are about to name a captain. The only requirement of the captain is that he must be taller than 5′-5″. This may pose a problem.
* Anytime you see an ad for the Florida Panthers with that dreaded third sweater. (This will require drinking the entire glass, and if this ultimately becomes the new home sweater, hook yourself up to an I.V.!)
Would love to hear some of your own!
Thanks for reading.
Please visit our NHL main page: Too Many Men On The Site.