Game one of the Stanley Finals was one hell of a game. If you didn’t have your seat belt on for that one, you had one hell of a bumpy ride. My heart was in my throat the entire game. Fellow bloggers who were watching were texting me throughout the game. Normally I’m pretty responsive and am able to comment pretty easily. Saturday night was different as I typically shot back one or two word answers. I just couldn’t stand it, as the pace of the game took over!
Here’s a recap and preview of tonight, bullet style.
* Troy Brouwer had two very timely goals for the Hawks and has played exceptionally well the past couple games. Not bad for a guy that had to leave the team earlier this season due to an illness in the family.
* Tomas Kopecky who scored what turned out to be the game winner was inserted into the lineup as a replacement for Andrew Ladd who’s out with an upper body injury, played as though he hasn’t missed a beat. Teamwork, work ethic and waiting for you chance is what this is all about.
* Scott Hartnell was back to his old nasty, ornery self and was a big part of the Flyers offence for two periods. Till he sorta disappeared in the third.
* Michael Leighton looked really nervous in net compared to the Hawks Antii Niemi. Leighton’s goals were one’s that he might have wanted another shot at, while Niemi’s were mostly a result of puck bounces and a dissaray of bodied in front of the net.
* Leighton goes tonight for the Flyers. My guess is he’s on a very short leash.
* The top line of Toews, Kane and Big Buff is not happy with their game one performance and knows it. You will see a different game from all three tonight.
* Chris Pronger playing almost 33 minutes was astounding. Can he keep that up for a seven game series, if it goes that long?
* What if the Flyers have to rely on four defenceman? Ryan Parent played one shift, about 40 seconds and was a minus one Saturday night. Not good.
* The top two lines for each team was a combined minus 16 in game one. You won’t see that again.
* Dave Bolland who has a shortie in the first game, also caught Richards by the skate tripping him after winning a faceoff. The nickname “The Rat” seems fitting.
* Listen for the triple whistle that comes from the balcony tonight during the game at the UC. When the pace of the game sloes down, or the action is rather dull, some fan from up top whistle’s three consecutive whistle’s in an expression of the play to pick up. I hve no idea who’s behind, but it’s been going on for at least 25 years inf not longer.
* Both teams have the first game under their belts. Nerves should be gone and we’ll see a more settled game. I think.
* Not as physical as we thought, but certainly action packed, the Hawks speed proved to be a bit much for the Flyers by the third period. Their forececking late in the third kept Boucher in net, and Pronger on a long shift.
* Tonight’s game will be another gret one. Don’t miss it.
* Who’s the hero tonight?
Thanks for reading.
Your comments are always welcomed and appreciated.